Working In Canada

Come Work In Canada

Working in Canada is a wonderful opportunity. If you are looking to take a job in Canada, you will most likely need a work permit. Below, the different work permit types are listed, each having different requirements providing various possibilities for you.

Our experts are here for you.

Book a 30 minute consultation with a Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant now!

Open work Permit

An open work permit will allow you to work for up to 48 months in Canada. This permit is not specific to any one employer. You can switch jobs any time you like.

Closed Work Permit

A closed work permit will allow you to work for up to 48 months in Canada. This permit is specific to a an employer. If you want to switch jobs you will need to get government approval.

Seasonal Agricultural

This will allow you to work in Canada for the agricultural season only. These work permits are typically 8 months from March to November. The dates may change depending on the industry.

Live in care Provider / Caregiver

This work permit will allow you to work in Canada for up to 48 months as a caregiver who lives with their employer. This permit is employer specific.

Spousal Open WP

This work permit will allow you to work for up to 48 months in Canada for any employer. Your spouse must also hold a valid work permit in Canada.

International Experience Canada

An open work permit for people under 35 who want to work and travel in Canada. You can work for any employer for up to 48 months.

Want to learn more?

Looking for an LMIA Approved Job?

If you are looking to work in Canada, you will need to work with a company that is LMIA Approved.

  • Need help finding a job board for foreign talent?
  • Need help getting interviews?
  • Want to find a job fast?
  • Want your resume in front of LMIA approved jobs?

Immigrate can connect you with an LMIA approved job board. We can help get your resume in front of Canadian employers looking for foreign talent, such as yourself.

Frequently Asked Questions

This will depend on the type of job you have and will be based on the NOC code. High wage or high skilled positions will often allow a person to bring their spouse and children while they are working in Canada.

This depends on the country you submit your work permit from. If you are located in Mexico a work permit can be processed in a few weeks. If you live in Brazil it may take several months or more.

It will depend on your situation. If you have another immigration application in process you may stay. If not you should return to your home country. Work permit extensions are also available in some situations.

Yes you can, but you will need to apply to the government of Canada for approval first. 

Many jobs in Canada can lead to permanent residence. Your eligibility for permanent residence will depend on many factors, such as the job you currently have, Canadian experience, language ability among others.

No you can not. An eTA is electronic travel authorization document. This document is issued for people living in visitor visa exempt countries.